Heinlein's Rules for Writing

Modérateurs : Estelle Hamelin, Eric, jerome, Jean, Travis, Charlotte, tom, marie.m, Nathalie

Répondre
jerome
Administrateur - Site Admin

Heinlein's Rules for Writing

Message par jerome » lun. avr. 19, 2010 9:56 am

Voici les règles de Robert Heinlein pour l'écriture. Elles proviennent d'ici.

1.) You must write.
I'm reminded of similar advice given by Mur Lafferty of the I Should Be Writing podcast. Her first rule is "Butt in chair." It's as simple as that. Getting your butt in the chair is the first step to writing. Another way to look at it is that you must write if you want to be a writer.

2.) You must finish what you write.
If you don't, you're wasting time and effort. Sure, some writing is practice. The general rule on first novels is to shove it in a drawer and forget about it. Most first novels are crap, so consider it practice and move on to the next one. However, if you never finish that first novel you'll never get to the second. It's not done until it's done, and you can't do anything with it until you've finished it.

3.) You must refrain from rewriting, except to editorial order.
This one is tough. I aspire to greatness. You probably do, too. My editing process involves several passes of the entire novel, then a chapter-by-chapter review. I hammer away at each and every chapter for as long as it takes. I risk exhaustion with this process, but it's what works for me. But at some point you have say, "I'm done", and resist all further temptations to re-write any more. If you think about it, a piece of writing is never really "done". There's always something to change or add or remove. But if you aspire to becoming a professional writer, then at some point you have to get your writing in front of someone who will pay you for it. That's not going to happen if you enter into a never ending rewrite cycle.

4.) You must put the work on the market.
You have to get your writing in front of someone who will pay you for it. Don't fear rejection. Embrace it and make yourself stronger from it. Or something like that. Bottom line: when you finish something, send it out.

5.) You must keep the work on the market until it is sold.
Once something is finished, send it out. If (or when) it comes back rejected, already have your next destination for it in mind. Only when all possible outlets have been exhausted should you consider stuffing it into a drawer or, if you're sure it's of high quality and representative of the kind of work you want people to read, put it on your web site or blog as a freebie.

Those are Heinlein's Rules of Writing. Robert J. Sawyer, author of Flash Forward and many other science fiction novels, adds a sixth rule to Heinlein's five:

6.) Start Working on Something Else
Once something is shipped, start working on the next story or novel. Not always easy, but it is essential to always have something in the pipeline. You might even find yourself juggling multiple, simultaneous projects. Some writers do this to keep from getting "stuck" when working on just a single project. The change in story or characters can really help keep the writing process flowing.
Jérôme
'Pour la carotte, le lapin est la parfaite incarnation du Mal.' Robert Sheckley

MF

Message par MF » mar. avr. 20, 2010 10:56 am

Pour les anglophobes, retrouver ces règles en français dans le Bifrost spécial Heinlein
Le message ci-dessus peut contenir des traces de second degré, d'ironie, voire de mauvais esprit.
Son rédacteur ne pourra être tenu pour responsable des effets indésirables de votre lecture.

Eons

Re: Heinlein's Rules for Writing

Message par Eons » mar. avr. 20, 2010 11:08 am

Faudrait peut-être le dire aux libraires, ça... :lol:
Les beaux livres, c’est aussi par ici : www.eons.fr

marypop

Re: Heinlein's Rules for Writing

Message par marypop » mar. avr. 20, 2010 12:26 pm

Eons a écrit :
Faudrait peut-être le dire aux libraires, ça... :lol:
Heinlein parle de "on the market" chez les éditeurs.
si on commence à mélanger sf archaïque et proto-sf, personne ne s'y retrouvera plus.
Dieu.

Eons

Message par Eons » mar. avr. 20, 2010 8:50 pm

Ben, si les libraires (enfin pas tous) ne faisaient pas du retour parfois sans même avoir mis en rayon et si les éditeurs ne mettaient pas presque systématiquement les retours au pilon...

bormandg

Message par bormandg » mar. avr. 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Eons a écrit :Ben, si les libraires (enfin pas tous) ne faisaient pas du retour parfois sans même avoir mis en rayon et si les éditeurs ne mettaient pas presque systématiquement les retours au pilon...
Mais c'est un autre problème que celui dont parle Heinlein pour les auteurs qui ont un texte à vendre à un éditeur.
Puis si le libraire ne met pas le livre en rayon (parce qu'il n'a pas de place pour lui, peut-être) ou s'il doit attendre 1 an pour le vendre et doit renoncer à 11 autres titres qui, eux, auraient été vendus... :twisted:
"If there is anything that can divert the land of my birth from its current stampede into the Stone Age, it is the widespread dissemination of the thoughts and perceptions that Robert Heinlein has been selling as entertainment since 1939."

marypop

Message par marypop » mer. avr. 21, 2010 11:53 pm

Eons a écrit :Ben, si les libraires (enfin pas tous) ne faisaient pas du retour parfois sans même avoir mis en rayon et si les éditeurs ne mettaient pas presque systématiquement les retours au pilon...
Je répète donc ...

Heilein veut dire, simplement, que tant qu'aucun éditeur ne veut de ton manuscrit, tu insistes, tu continues à l'envoyer partout où tu peux.

Ce qui n'a donc absolument AUCUN rapport avec les libraires ou avec le pilon.
si on commence à mélanger sf archaïque et proto-sf, personne ne s'y retrouvera plus.
Dieu.

Don Lorenjy

Message par Don Lorenjy » jeu. avr. 22, 2010 11:16 am

Il me semble que c'est plutôt le distrib qui pilonne...
Les marques Don Lorenjy et Don Lo sont retirées des rayons

Eons

Message par Eons » ven. avr. 23, 2010 9:25 am

Don Lorenjy a écrit :
Il me semble que c'est plutôt le distrib qui pilonne...
Sur décision de l'éditeur, toujours propriétaire du stock.

Répondre

Retourner vers « Vos questions sur l'écriture et l'édition en général »