Jeffrey Ford revient sur sa carrière...

Modérateurs : Estelle Hamelin, Eric, jerome, Travis, Charlotte, marie.m

Répondre
jerome
Administrateur - Site Admin

Jeffrey Ford revient sur sa carrière...

Message par jerome » mer. août 26, 2009 9:20 am

Jeffrey Ford est en interview sur le site du prix Nebula.

Il revient au détour d'une question sur sa carrière.

Extrait :
Your first novel, Vanitas, was published in 1988. Almost ten years went by before your next books, The Well-Built City trilogy, were released. What changes, if any, occurred in your approach to writing during that time?
Jeffrey Ford : Forget my approach to writing, what happened is I had two sons. I spent a lot of time with them, reading to them, playing crazy games, and walking for hours with them in this double stroller we had, checking out the world. This was where it was at. I didn’t have time to write novels then, but I continued to write. I focused my attention on writing short stories. I wrote a bunch of them at night, after everybody was finally asleep. I was tired, but it was a blast. Occasionally, I’d sell one. I was sending more realistic stories to literary journals and obviously fantastic stories to genre magazines. During this time, two things happened as far as writing. I finally got the notion to combine the two types of stories I was writing. Not exactly genius—all revelations for me came slowly as far as writing went. Once I did that, though, I started publishing a lot more stories. I have to say that the genre magazines were much more accepting of my hybrids than the lit. magazines, and it seemed to me at the time, much more willing to take a chance with something either structurally or thematically different. The other thing I finally realized was the beauty of revision. Revision went from being a theoretical concept to an integral part of the creation of the stories. That personal discovery was thrilling to me. Every story is a combined creation of both the (and I wish I had better terms to describe this) conscious and the subconscious. They’re both important to crafting a good piece, but it’s essential that they both have the story’s best interest at heart and are willing to relinquish ground to one another when it is called for. A big part of learning to write fiction is getting to a point where you can feel their allegiance or lack thereof to the story. Still, mistakes are often made. What can I say?
Jérôme
'Pour la carotte, le lapin est la parfaite incarnation du Mal.' Robert Sheckley

jerome
Administrateur - Site Admin

Message par jerome » mar. juin 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Une nouvelle interview sur Locus dans laquelle il parle de The Twilight Pariah paru fin 2017...
“I wrote The Twilight Pariah for the students in my composition classes. I thought I’d write it about some kids a little older than them, focusing on that age group. It’s the closest I’ve ever come to YA. It’s not really YA, but I think it was Jonathan Strahan who said it had the structure of YA. What I really wanted to capture was their friendship – that was really the thing that interested me about it. As for the haunted part, the supernatural part, I got that idea because my buddy is a carpenter in New York and he has this place in the West Village with a backyard, and he told me one day there was an outhouse in the corner of the backyard. He started telling me about these guys in the ’50s, bottle boys, who went around and took out all the outhouses. I think they did it because the ground was unsteady there, but then they filled the holes with packed dirt. He was telling me about some of the stuff they found: like a glass eye, an old gun, dentures, anything you can imagine dropping in the bathroom. Some of it’s in a historical museum somewhere in New York. Medicine bottles. The bottle thing is big. They also found skeletons: a baby, dogs. That’s what initially gave me the idea. I did a lot of research on digging out outhouses, there’s a whole method to the madness of it. It’s a big thing, and people are really into it. I’m sure a lot of people I see doing it online are not archaeologists, just a guy with a shovel. They come up with a lot of beautiful stuff, just racks of bottles, objects they find, toys.
Jérôme
'Pour la carotte, le lapin est la parfaite incarnation du Mal.' Robert Sheckley

Répondre

Retourner vers « Les infos sur vos auteurs »