Une interview de Ian McDonald (anglais)

Modérateurs : Estelle Hamelin, Eric, jerome, Jean, Travis, Charlotte, tom, marie.m

Répondre
jerome
Administrateur - Site Admin

Une interview de Ian McDonald (anglais)

Message par jerome » mer. mars 04, 2009 7:47 am

Ian McDonald fait l'objet d'un article en anglais qui le cite abondament. Il revient notamment sur River of Gods paru en 2004 et sur son dernier roman Cyberabad Days

Extrait :

McDonald says, "When I finished River, I realized that there was much more to my near-future India than just that book. There were parts of my research I'd never used, and there were ideas, concepts, vital parts of the world of the story, that demanded space and voices of their own. I conceived River as an experience of what-it's-like-to-live-in-a-future, so the world was much deeper and richer than a pure plotty story required. The events that lead to the Balkanization of India, the Water Wars and the Sex Wars and the genetically enhanced Brahmins, who live twice as long half as fast, their stories hadn't been told. In some ways Days is an unfolding of what's going on in the rest of the world—and many of the stories are set not in Bharat, but its neighbor and rival, Awadh, in that ancient capital Delhi. So Days is a companion volume to River in one respect, but in another it's a sequel."

McDonald adds, "The title Cyberabad Days is a deliberate echo of the Arabian Nights. The stories are fairy tales of New Delhi. River was an Indian—novel, fat, many-voiced, wide-screen; Cyberabad Days is tales. Mumbai movies tell stories in ways that challenge our Western aesthetics and values. They're not afraid of sentiment, they're not afraid of big acting, or putting in song and dance, because Bollywood cinema's not supposed to be a mimetic art form. It's not about realism—that most pernicious of Western values—it's a show. I wanted these stories to have a similar feel. There are dance routines in the 'The Djinn's Wife' (and it ends in a Bollywood melodrama bloodbath). There are indeed princesses who fall from power and exact revenge on their enemies. There are brothers whose feud plays out over decades."

Tout l'article est là

Jérôme
'Pour la carotte, le lapin est la parfaite incarnation du Mal.' Robert Sheckley

Pascal

Message par Pascal » mer. mars 04, 2009 9:27 am

En fait, il s'agit d'un recueil de nouvelles se situant dans l'univers de River of Gods. Il y a de très bons textes dedans ("The Djinn's wife" et "Little Goddess", de mémoire). Voici ce qu'en dit Cory Doctorow. A noter la très belle illustration de Stéphan Martinière.

thomasday

Message par thomasday » mer. mars 04, 2009 1:44 pm

Pas encore reçu la bête, mais a priori voilà ce qu'il y a dedans. (1, 2 et 3 sont formidables, pas lu les autres).

1/ The Little Goddess. Hugo nominee Best Novella 2006. In near future Nepal, a child-goddess discovers what lies on the other side of godhood.
2/ The Djinn's Wife. Hugo nominee and BSFA short fiction winner 2007
A minor Delhi celebrity falls in love with an artificial intelligence but is it a marriage of heaven and hell?
3/ The Dust Assassin. Feuding Rajasthan water-rajas find that revenge is a slow, subtle process.
4/ Jasbir and Sujay go Shaadi. Love and marriage should be plain-sailing when your matchmaker is a soap-star artificial intelligence
5/ Sanjeev and Robotwallah. What happens to the boy-soldier roboteers when the war of Separation is over?
6/ Kyle meets the River. A young American in Varanas learns the true meaning of 'nation building' in the early days of a new country.
7/ Vishnu at the Cat Circus. A genetically improved 'Brahmin' child finds himself left behind as he grows through the final generation of humanity.

GD

kibu

Message par kibu » mer. mars 04, 2009 6:03 pm

ça a l'air très bien tout ça...
A l'envers, à l'endroit

Ô Dingos, ô châteaux

Répondre

Retourner vers « Les infos sur la Science Fiction, la Fantasy et le fantastique en général »